For the Lacquer:
¼ cup – hoison sauce
¼ tsp. – minced garlic
¼ tsp. – minced ginger
2TB. – Soy sauce
2 oz. – orange juice
Pinch – red chili flakes
- Mix all ingredients well in a mixing bowl.This lacquer is best made one day ahead.
4 – 8 ounce portion of Sea Bass
Place sea bass on a plate and with a pastry brush paint the hoison Lacquer on just the top. Put a good amount on as you want it to seep into the fish. Put back in fridge un covered.
For the broth:
1 quart Cold water
1 bunch – lemon grass stalks (washed and crushed)
2 TB. – sesame oil
1 /2 tsp. minced garlic
1/ 2 tsp. minced ginger
1 lb. – beech mushrooms
1 TB. – clam base
3 TB. – white miso
¼ cup soy sauce
½ TB. toasted white sesame seeds
1 bunch fresh scallions chopped
Pinch of red chili flakes
- In a 2 quart sauce pot, bring water and lemon grass to a boil. Turn heat down to simmer and cook 20 minutes. Discard lemon grass and let sit
- In another 2 quart pot, add the sesame oil, garlic, and ginger. Place on medium heat to just sweat the two. Add the mushrooms and cook until tender.Add all other ingredients plus the lemon grass water.
- Bring to a simmer and cook about 10 minutes for flavors to come together. Turn down heat to keep hot.
- Preheat your oven to 400* . when up to temp, place the seabass on a non stick pan and place in the middle of the oven and bake 10 – 12 minutes until done.
- In 4 pasta bowl’s ladle the broth in the bowls equally until all gone. Place the seabass gently in the broth and garnish with toasted sesame seeds and chopped scallions.