Tuna Spring Roll serves 4
Capellini noodles – ½ Lb.
Water – 1 Qt.
Soy sauce – 1 cup plus 2TB.
Scallion’s (julienne) – 3 sticks
Carrot’s (julienne) – 1 medium
Shitake mushrooms (sliced) – ½ cup
Sesame oil –1TB.
Ponzu sauce – 2TB.
Chinese five spice – 1 tsp.
Black sesame seeds – 1 tsp.
Red chili flakes – 2 tsp.
Sushi Grade Tuna – 8 – 2 oz. pieces (1 inch x 2 inch ) cut
Spring roll wrappers – 8 each
Egg white from 1 egg
¼ cup water
Sweet garlic Red chili sauce – 4 – 2 ounce cups full
- In a 2 quart pot, place the water and 1 cup of soy sauce in and place on stove top and bring to a boil.
- Add the capellini and cook 4 minutes or until just done.
- Cool under cold water and place in a mixing bowl. Discard water and soy sauce.
- Place a sauté pan on the stove, and on high heat pour the sesame oil in and shitakes and quickly cook until just brown.
- Add the 2 TB. Soy sauce, and toss until mushrooms are well coated.
- Pull off stove and add to the noodles.
- Add the rest of the vegetables and spices and blend well and refrigerate.
- Mix the egg white and water together in a bowl.
- Place a spring roll wrapper on a cutting board or table top with one corner facing diagonal.
- Place a piece just below middle center of the wrapper; place a good pinch of the noodle filing on top of the tuna. With a pastry brush, brush all the edges of the wrapper and then from the bottom, roll upward and fold in the sides of the wrapper as if you were rolling up and egg roll. Repeat with remaining tuna and filling on the other 7 wrappers. Set aside.
- Heat a fry Daddy fryer with peanut or canola oil to 375*.
- Place two spring rolls in at a time and fry for 3 minutes, or until golden brown and crispy. You want the tuna to remain as rare as possible so if the roll is crispy, but not brown that’s o.k., the tuna being rare is more important.
- Place on a paper towel and repeat with remaining roll’s.
- On four plates, cut the ends of the rolls off and cut at a bias at the middle and place in the middle of the plate, point side up, so you see the tuna and filling. Place the chili sauce on side for dipping. You can use any dipping sauce you like if you have a favorite. Bon Appetite!!!