Bacon Wrapped Cobia
Chorizo Asiago Grits & Smoked Paprika Sauce
For the Grits:
4 strips – Bacon (minced)
¼ cup – yellow onion (minced)
1TB. – Garlic (minced)
2 links – Spanish Chorizo (diced)
½ cup – Asiago cheese (grated)
¼ stick – Lightly salted Butter (softened)
1 Qt. - prepared cooked instant grits (replace chicken stock for the water)
Salt and pepper to taste
- In a sauté pan on medium high heat, add the bacon and cook until just crisp.
- Add the onion and cook until soft, add garlic. Cook until the bacon drippings are separating from pan and loose.
- Add the chorizo just to heat up and pull off stove.
- In a mixing bowl, place the hot grits, bacon chorizo mixture, asiago, and butter in and mix well. Season with a little salt and pepper. Cover with foil and keep warm.
For the Sauce:
2TB. – Bacon (minced)
½ Cup- Yellow Onion (minced)
1TB. – Garlic chopped
2TB. – Flour
1TB. – Smoked Paprika
1tsp – Spanish Paprika
1 Cup – Warm Chicken Stock
½ Cup- Heavy Cream 40%
Pinch – Ground Cumin
1tsp - Sugar
Salt & Pepper to taste
- In a small sauce pot on medium heat, add the bacon and sauté until brown and crispy.
- Add the onions and garlic and cook until translucent and slightly brown.
- Add flour and paprikas, stir until a roux forms.
- Slowly add the chicken stock, and all the spices. When it starts to thicken, reduce heat to low and stir in the cream.
- Slow simmer and stir frequently until smooth and creamy. About 5 minutes. Pull off stove.
)Strain sauce in another sauce pot, discard the bacon onion mixture. Place back on stove on low heat to keep warm until service.
For the Cobia:
Pre heat char grill on medium high heat
8 – 3 ounce medallions of fresh cobia
8 strips – bacon
8 – 4” Wooden Skewers
Seasoning salt of your choice
2TB. – Canola oil, to coat fish.
- Wrap each piece of the cobia with bacon. Use the skewers to hold bacon in place.
- Season each piece with your favorite seasoning. Brush the oil over the 8 pieces.
- Using a grill brush, clean hot grates until clean and using a throw away towel, rub oil on the grates to help the fish to come off clean. Place the fish on the grill.
- Cook 3 minutes on each side with lid closed, watching close looking for the bacon flare up. After 6 minutes, place fish to the cool side of the grill that is still somewhat hot.
- Close lid and cook another 6 minutes, turning again after 3 minutes. Fish should be done and bacon crisp. You may or may not need a little more time. Pull off to rest.
In 4 wide rim bowls , with a ice cream scoop, scoop 4 portions of the grits in the center of the bowl. Pour the hot sauce around the grits, and place two pieces of the cobia on top of the grits. Garnish with chive sticks.